Effective date: March 24, 2020
The Controller of your data is Merakoi AG(“us”, “we”, or “our”). Merakoi operates the www.merakoi.com website. Our company address is Gerbergasse 30, 4001 Basel, Switzerland, and our email address is email@example.com.
For all data protection matters, please contact our Data Protection Officer Tom McNamara at the details above.
Our EU representative is Apex Privacy Ltd., a company based in Dublin, Ireland.
This page informs you how we collect, use, and disclose personal data and the choices you have associated with that data.
Information Collection And Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our service.
How We Gather Your Data
We may gather your data when:
- you give it to us
- When you contact us via our website contact form
- When you contact us via our social media profiles
- When you contact us via email or other means
- When you request marketing or sales related material
- When you inquire about our services
- When you apply to our team
- other people give it to us
- When you are referred by a colleague/acquaintance
- it is publicly available.
- Automatically when you visit our website
In order to provide our service, we analyse user profiles and other information that we receive directly from social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others, via these platforms’ APIs. Such data includes both non-personal data such as metrics and various statistics and the personal information of the platforms’ users. In cases where we source the data directly from the relevant social media platforms, we determine the purposes of the processing, which develops and constantly enhances our services and offers them to our customers on a worldwide basis. In such cases, we are the data controller with respect to such data.
- Various social media APIs
- Contact form on our website
- Cookies and Usage Data
- Any ways that they interact with customers
- Email correspondence
Types of Data Collected
In providing our service, we may collect certain personal information. This information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- General information related to your inquiry
- Information related to your social media presence e.g. social media handle, number of followers, number of posts, profile picture, and location
- Cookies and website usage data
We may also collect information about how our website is used and accessed (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as the pages of our website that you visit, your Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), your browser type, your browser version, the date and time of your visit, the time spent on our pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files that are sent to your browser from a website that contain a small amount of data which may include a unique anonymous identifier. This information is stored on your device. Tracking technologies that may also be used are beacons, tags, and scripts, which serve to collect and track information and to improve and analyse our service.
It is possible to instruct your browser to refuse all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent to your browser. However, if you choose to not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our website.
We may use:
- Session Cookies to operate our website.
- Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies for security purposes.
Social Network User Data
As part of our services, we monitor social media discourse related to our legitimate interests. The type of personal data that we collect from social media platforms is dependant on the APIs and the rules set by the respective social media platforms.
Below are the most typical examples of data collected about social media platform users:
- Basic user profile information (such as the user name, number of followers, profile image);
- User generated content (such as number of posts, pages, images or feeds) including its metadata (such as time and location of a post or comment);
- Contact details (such as name, email address, telephone number) if made public by the user;
- Additional individual information (such as profession, geographic location, timezone, information about health) published by the user.
We only collect data that individuals make publicly available, and that can be accessed through the various social media platforms’ APIs. We do this based on our legitimate interests as a business. Non-publicly available data will only be processed with the express consent of the individual. As per Article 14 of the GDPR, we will not be notifying individuals whose data is gathered through social media platform APIs, as in most cases, we will not have contact details and to notify each individual would involve a disproportionate effort. Any individual who believes their data may have been collected can contact us at privacy@Merakoi.com to discuss any concerns or to submit any requests.
Use of Data
Merakoi uses and collects data for various purposes:
- To provide our services
- To notify you about changes to our service
- To provide customer care and support
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our service
- To monitor the usage of our website
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To comply with our legal obligations
- To respond to requests for information with regards to our services and other subjects
- To invoice our clients
- To respond to complaints
Transfer Of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Switzerland and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Switzerland and process it there.
In accordance with the GDPR, when we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring that we use specific controls approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. For example, Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries, Privacy Shield or other approved method.
Disclosure Of Data
Merakoi may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To secure your Personal Data
- To deliver our services
- To meet contractual obligations
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Merakoi
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing
- To protect against legal liability
Security Of Data
Merakoi places great importance on the security of all personal data associated with our website users. We have implemented appropriate security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security and privacy policies and practices are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary, and only authorised, and trained personnel have access to personal information. Though we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we ensure that all reasonable efforts and measures are in place to prevent it.
We also have implemented procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach, and we will notify you and applicable regulators of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
We may share your data with third party companies and individuals who provide services to us. They only process your personal data in accordance with our instructions, as per the GDPR. We ensure that all third party service providers maintain adequate data protection and security controls.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Links To Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Out website is not intended for anyone under the age of 18.
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18 through our website. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us.
If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers. When we collect the Personal Data of individuals through social media platform APIs, we are unable to distinguish the age of the individual. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children’s data is being processed by us, please contact us.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org